Fairfax, Virginia Commercial Debt Collection Attorneys
More than 40 years of experience handling collection cases
Shaner & Helf, LLC is trusted by clients across Virginia to help them recover the money they are owed for their goods and services. Shaner & Helf, LLC has more than 40 years of experience providing their clients with legal advice and litigation services at every level of state and federal courts. They have successfully helped a wide variety of clients — including banks, businesses, corporations, attorneys, accounts, landlords, real estate agencies, consulting firms and financing companies — collect the debts owed to them.
Fairfax attorneys committed to providing results
The skilled attorneys at Shaner & Helf, LLC can assist in collecting money from debtors on:
- Unpaid loans
- Guaranties and promissory notes
- Letters of credit/other extensions of credit
- Fees owed for professional services
- Debts for goods sold/delivered
- Liens of all varieties
- Unpaid rent/charges for apartments, condominiums and co-ops
- Unjust enrichment claims
- Replevin actions subject to creditors’ liens
- Breach of contract actions
Shaner & Helf, LLC prides itself on providing an exceptional client experience. In addition to providing litigation services, their attorneys also review their clients’ current contracts to eliminate potential issues that may arise in the future. By fighting for you today and protecting you for the future, Shaner & Helf, LLC makes sure that you get the results that you deserve.
Shaner & Helf, LLC also represents commercial and retail clients in the following:
- Commercial collections – collection of commercial debt, secured and unsecured, for small and large businesses, contractors, subcontractors, banks, lenders, commercial landlords and equipment lessors
- Retail collections – collection of consumer debt, secured and unsecured, for banks, savings and loans, credit unions, and other lenders
- Construction collections – filing and enforcement of mechanic’s lien claims, and labor and material payment bond claims
- Replevins – repossession and recovery of collateral from defaulting debtors for lessors and other secured creditors
- Litigation – prosecution of debt collection civil actions in state and federal courts and before alternative dispute resolution forums (arbitration, mediation), and defense against debtor counterclaims
Assistance when a creditor files for bankruptcy
Businesses throughout Fairfax look to the firm for guidance and assistance when a debtor files for bankruptcy. A creditor does not have to simply absorb loss without first seeking the opportunity to mitigate and minimize that loss. There are many avenues by which Virginia creditors can recover partial or total amounts owed by clients who are filing for Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy. The higher the stakes, the more worthwhile it is to examine all possible defenses.
Options may include the following:
- A creditor may assert an “administrative expense” priority claim for goods received by the bankrupt customer within 20 days of a bankruptcy filing.
- A creditor may assert a “reclamation claim” for goods delivered to an insolvent customer within the 45 days before a bankruptcy filing.
- A creditor may assert rights as a “lien holder” with regard to special classifications of supplies.
- A creditor may assert a right to compensation as an “essential supplier” or “critical vendor.”
- A creditor may pursue priority litigation versus other lien holders including secured creditors, taxing authorities and landlords.
- A judge may grant relief from an automatic stay if it can be shown that a debtor is committing fraud or acting in bad faith.
Experienced attorneys. Proven results.
Call Shaner & Helf, LLC today at 301-913-9306 or contact the firm online to put an end to your debtors’ excuses and make them pay what they owe.